Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Spiced squash bread

We had some squash (as far as we--meaning the people at the grocery story, myself, and my new cookbook--can figure, it was baby hubbard) for dinner the other night. Anticipating we (Tyler and I) couldn't eat the whole thing, I only cooked half. Well, that left another half that probably wasn't going to get eaten, so I devised a way to use the remaining squash. I have a banana bread recipe, and I know the spices that go in pumpkin pie, so I swapped the banana for the squash and added the spices--the result: spiced squash bread, nearly as tasty as pumpkin bread, probably would be SOOOO much better with some chocolate chips :)



Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. ground nutmeg
1 t. ground ginger
1 T. ground cinnamon
1/3 c. butter
2/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
half of a cooked winter squash or enough to make 2-3 cups when mashed

Destructions:
Cut desired winter squash in half, remove seeds, and place in/or a tin-foil lined pan and bake at 350 for about an hour and a half or until very soft. Remove skin (discard) and mash the fleshy part. Add a couple tablespoons of butter and couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Set aside. (May be refrigerated for later use)

Preheat over (if not already heated from cooking the squash) to 350, grease bread pan, and set aside.

Mix dry ingredients in small/medium bowl and set aside. In a larger bowl beat sugar and softened butter together. Add eggs and mix. Add dry ingredients, mix partially, then add squash. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes, then medium for 1 more. If desired, fold chocolate chips (you put in however many you want, I won't judge, haha). Pour into pan and bake for one hour. Can check with toothpick for done-ness. Let cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan, and ENJOY!

PS-It is very moist. I recommend that if you do put it in a plastic bag or wrap it in foil to leave it open to the air so that it doesn't get really sticky.

1 comment:

  1. Jordyn, I love your blog! You're so innovative. I would never have thought to use squash in bread. Keep the yummy recipes coming!

    My blog isn't nearly as interesting as yours, but if you want you can check it out.

    thehannibalfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete